Mr. Banks has practiced extensively in the area of Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation since 1985, and is a Certified Workers’ Compensation Specialist as certified by the Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Section on Workers’ Compensation Law as authorized by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Halmon L. Banks, III, Esq., is the founder of Banks Law. He is a member of the Pennsylvania State Bar as well as the Third Circuit Court of Appeals of the Federal Bar. Mr. Banks is a member of the Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, the Pennsylvania Bar Association and the Philadelphia Bar Association. He is also the past Chair of the Workers’ Compensation Section of the Pennsylvania Bar Association. Sonny volunteers on the Program Planning Committee of the Workers’ Compensation Section of the Pennsylvania Bar Association. He assists in putting together and presenting programs for the Workers’ Compensation Fall Section Meetings. These seminars are attended by attorneys throughout the state of Pennsylvania who practice in the area of Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation. In 2008, Mr. Banks was awarded the Philadelphia Bar Association’s Workers’ Compensation Section’s Martha J. Hampton Award. That award is presented to the workers’ compensation attorney or judge who best exemplifies a commitment to the profession while maintaining a unique and close relationship with members of the bar and bench, as well as exemplary compassion, dedication and professionalism. Mr. Banks was named the Best Lawyers 2014 Philadelphia Workers’ Compensation Law-Claimant’s “Lawyer of the Year.” He is a member of the Board of Governors of Pennsylvania Association for Justice.
He remains active in both the State and Local Bar Associations in their Workers’ Compensation Sections. Mr. Banks regularly attends continuing legal education seminars on workers’ compensation. He continues to practice on a regular basis before Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Judges and the Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Appeal Board.
Sonny grew up in a working class family in York, Pennsylvania. His grandfather started one of the first black-owned businesses there and his father worked in a local manufacturing plant for most of his life. Sonny was taught the value of a hard day’s work at an early age. He honors those lessons by bringing an unparalleled passion and commitment to fighting for the rights of injured people.
Mr. Banks resides in Philadelphia with his wife, Kim, and his three boys, Jake, Griffin, and Mason.
Banks Law successfully negotiated a $2,500,000 settlement for one of our clients. This victory represents one of the largest workers’ compensation settlements ever awarded in Pennsylvania, if not the country.
Honors & Awards
- 2022 Best Lawyers® Best Lawyers Workers’ Compensation Law-Claimants
- 2022 Best Lawyers® Best Law Firm
- Best Lawyers® Philadelphia Workers’ Compensation Law – Claimants
- “Lawyer of the Year” Philadelphia Bar Association’s
- Workers’ Compensation Section’s Martha J. Hampton Award
- Chairman of the Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Section of the Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Philadelphia Magazine “Super Lawyer” since 2005
- Gamechangers 2022 Global Award-Philadelphia Workers’ Compensation Law Firm of the Year & Workers’ Compensation Attorney of the Year
- Avvo rating 10.0
- 4.8/5 rating on Google reviews
- Past Chair of the Workers’ Compensation Section of the Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Treasurer & Board Member of the Philadelphia Trail Lawyers Association (PaTLA)
- Board Member of the Pennsylvania Association of Justice (PAJ)
- Member of the American Association of Justice (AAJ)
- Member of LawPAC